Last Updated:
A US federal judge has struck down President Donald Trump’s visa ban affecting nationals from 75 countries, calling the policy “contrary to law.”

News18
A US federal judge has struck down a government policy that suspended the processing of immigrant visas for nationals of 75 countries seeking to settle in the United States indefinitely, dealing a setback to President Donald Trump’s immigration crackdown.
In a ruling issued on Friday in the Southern District of New York, Judge Jeannette Vargas described the policy as “contrary to law” and said Secretary of State Marco Rubio had exceeded his “statutory authority” in issuing it.
Visa Processing Suspended For 75 Countries
The policy, which took effect in January, suspended the processing of immigrant visas for nationals of 75 countries. The affected countries included Afghanistan, Brazil, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Somalia, Thailand and Yemen.
At the time, the US State Department said the measure was intended to ensure that immigrants from high-risk countries did not unlawfully use welfare in the US or become a public charge.
Judge Says Policy Wrongly Targeted Applicants
Vargas ruled that consular officers had been improperly directed to refuse immigrant visas solely on the basis of an applicant’s country of origin, even when the applicant had otherwise been found eligible.
Friday’s ruling vacates visa denials that were based solely on the policy.
The US government can appeal the ruling.
Trump had campaigned for the White House on a promise to expel millions of undocumented migrants. Since returning to the White House, his administration has taken several measures aimed at accelerating deportations and reducing border crossings.
United States of America (USA)
August 22, 2026, 9:32 PM IST
Read More
Source link
[ad_3]