Last Updated:
The academic was booked in May 2025 following social media activity related to ‘Operation Sindoor’, which allegedly endangered the sovereignty and integrity of the nation
The Supreme Court orally remarked that its expects that the academic will behave responsibly during this period. (Image: PTI/File)
The Supreme Court on Tuesday extended a stay on proceedings against Ashoka University professor Ali Khan Mahmudabad, while cautioning him to “be responsible” about what he writes on social media if he is shown “one-time magnanimity”.
Mahmudabad was booked in May last year following social media activity related to ‘Operation Sindoor’, which the authorities alleged endangered the sovereignty and integrity of the nation.
A bench comprising Chief Justice Surya Kant and Justice Joymalya Bagchi issued the order after additional solicitor general (ASG) SV Raju said the Haryana government is still deliberating on whether to grant the necessary legal sanction required to continue the prosecution. The state is reportedly considering whether to drop the matter entirely as a “one-time magnanimity”. The Supreme Court, consequently, allowed the state government six weeks to clarify its instructions on the issue.
While Mahmudabad is out on interim bail, the SC bench signalled its skepticism regarding the police investigation’s scope. It, however, orally remarked that the academic should maintain responsible public conduct during this interim period. It said if the government chooses to show leniency by withholding sanction, the professor must reciprocate that grace.
“We also don’t want that as soon as they decide not to grant sanction, you go and write any damn thing you want,” the court observed. “If they show magnanimity then you also have to be responsible.”
Senior advocate Kapil Sibal, appearing for Mahmudabad, submitted there is nothing in the matter. The top court had previously observed that the Haryana special investigation team (SIT) had “misdirected itself” and cautioned the police against going “left and right” in their probe. It had asked the SIT headed by a senior police officer to only confine itself to the two FIRs over the professor’s contentious social media posts and see if there was an offence and submit its report in four weeks.
The court had relaxed the professor’s bail condition imposed on May 21 and allowed him write posts, articles and express any opinion except on the sub judice case. On May 28, it said there was no impediment on his right to speech and expression, but barred him from sharing anything online on the cases against him.
Haryana police had arrested Mahmudabad on May 18 after two FIRs were registered against him. His contentious social media posts on ‘Operation Sindoor’, it is alleged, endangered the sovereignty and integrity of the country.
The two FIRs — one based on a complaint by the chairperson of Haryana State Commission for Women, Renu Bhatia, and the other on a complaint by a village sarpanch — were lodged by Rai police in Sonipat district. He was booked under BNS sections 152 (acts endangering sovereignty or unity and integrity of India), 353 (statements conducing to public mischief), 79 (deliberate actions aimed at insulting the modesty of a woman) and 196 (1) (promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion). Several political parties and academicians condemned the arrest.
January 06, 2026, 11:32 PM IST
Read More
Source link
[ad_3]