‘Hormuz Open, Mines Removed’: Trump Says No Fresh Talks With Iran, Tehran Counters With ‘US Begging’

‘Hormuz Open, Mines Removed’: Trump Says No Fresh Talks With Iran, Tehran Counters With ‘US Begging’


News world ‘Hormuz Open, Mines Removed’: Trump Says No Fresh Talks With Iran, Tehran Counters With ‘US Begging’

Last Updated:

Trump says no fresh talks are planned with Iran and claims Hormuz is open, while Tehran says the Strait will remain shut until US demands are met.

US President Donald Trump, amid tensions with Iran over the Strait of Hormuz. (IMAGE: REUTERS)

US President Donald Trump, amid tensions with Iran over the Strait of Hormuz. (IMAGE: REUTERS)

US President Donald Trump on Tuesday said there were no talks or discussions taking place with Iran and none were scheduled, while claiming that the Strait of Hormuz was open and all naval mines had been removed or detonated.

“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect. The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated,” Trump said in a post on Truth Social.

Iran, however, said the Strait of Hormuz would remain shut until the US met Tehran’s conditions under an interim agreement signed in June.

Top Iranian negotiator Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf said the conditions included the lifting of the US blockade of Iranian ports, removal of oil sanctions, release of Iran’s frozen assets and an end to threats and military operations on all fronts, according to comments published by Iranian state media.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, meanwhile, rejected the idea that Tehran was seeking to surrender in the conflict and claimed that Washington was now seeking negotiations on Iranian terms.

“The US objective in the war was to force Iran to surrender, but we will not surrender,” Araghchi said.

“America is now begging to negotiate with us according to our conditions,” he added.

Araghchi also said the memorandum of understanding signed with the US contained 13 provisions in Iran’s favour and one in Washington’s, while accusing Israel of doing everything it could to sabotage and prevent its implementation.

“We won the war, and we also won in diplomacy, and we forced the enemy to accept our conditions,” Araghchi said, adding that Iran’s military and battlefield capabilities had strengthened its position in negotiations.

Hormuz Remains Key Point Of Dispute

Trump’s statement that the Strait of Hormuz was open contrasted with Tehran’s position that the waterway would remain closed until Washington met its conditions.

Qalibaf said the Strait would remain shut until the US lifted its blockade, eased sanctions and ended military operations against Iran.

Trump, meanwhile, said the US naval blockade remained “in full force and effect” even as he declared the strategically important waterway open and operating.

Key Questions Answered

Powered by

ask search iconAsk News18

Iran’s conditions for reopening the Strait of Hormuz include the US lifting its blockade of Iranian ports, removing oil sanctions, releasing Iran’s frozen assets, and ending military operations and threats against Iran.

Powered by

ask search iconAsk News18

About the Author

Shankhyaneel Sarkar

Shankhyaneel Sarkar

Shankhyaneel Sarkar is a chief sub editor at News18. He covers international affairs, where he focuses on breaking news to in-depth analyses. He has over seven years of experience during which he has …Read More

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More



Source link
[ad_3]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *