Israel Army Opens Probe Into Death Of Five-Year-Old Hind Rajab After Global Outcry

Israel Army Opens Probe Into Death Of Five-Year-Old Hind Rajab After Global Outcry


News world Israel Army Opens Probe Into Death Of Five-Year-Old Hind Rajab After Global Outcry

Last Updated:

Israel’s military will open internal investigations into the deaths of Palestinian girl Hind Rajab and 15 emergency and aid workers in Gaza.

Hind Rajab’s picture held on the red carpet during the screening of The Voice of Hind Rajab at the 82nd Venice Film Festival. (Photo: Reuters)

Hind Rajab’s picture held on the red carpet during the screening of The Voice of Hind Rajab at the 82nd Venice Film Festival. (Photo: Reuters)

Israel’s military said on Wednesday that it will open internal investigations into the deaths of five-year-old Palestinian girl Hind Rajab in January 2024 and 15 emergency and aid workers in March 2025 in Gaza. The decision follows reviews by the military’s Fact-Finding and Assessment Mechanism, which examined five incidents involving Palestinian deaths.

The military also released its findings on the killing of seven aid workers from the World Central Kitchen charity in April 2024. In that case, it said there was “no reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct” warranting a criminal investigation.

Rights Groups Question Record Of Military Probes

Israeli rights groups have raised concerns about the effectiveness of criminal investigations involving Israeli troops accused of killing Palestinians, saying such cases rarely result in convictions.

Dan Owen, a researcher at the Yesh Din rights organisation, said only a “tiny” proportion of such investigations had resulted in indictments over the past decade. He also said increasing political pressure “further deters Israeli law-enforcement authorities from holding those responsible accountable, even when clear evidence does exist.”

What Happened To Hind Rajab

Hind Rajab was trapped inside a car during Israel’s military offensive in response to the October 7, 2023, Hamas attack on Israel that triggered the Gaza war. She remained pinned down for hours and pleaded with Palestinian medics by phone to send help.

Her aunt, uncle and three cousins were already dead inside the vehicle. When an ambulance reached the area, contact with Hind and the rescuers was lost. Twelve days later, the bodies of Hind, her relatives and two ambulance workers were recovered.

A film about Hind’s death later won the Silver Lion at the Venice Film Festival and was nominated for an Academy Award.

15 Aid And Emergency Workers Found In Mass Grave

In March 2025, the bodies of 15 emergency and aid workers from the Palestinian Red Crescent, Palestinian Civil Defense and the United Nations were recovered from a grave in the sand in southern Gaza.

UN aid chief Tom Fletcher said at the time that the bodies had been buried near “wrecked & well-marked vehicles” and alleged that they had been killed by Israeli forces while trying to save lives. He called for answers and justice.

Israeli forces have said they have never deliberately targeted civilians during the Gaza war. Israel has also accused Hamas of putting civilians at risk by using them for cover.

The Israeli military did not directly comment on the deaths of the Red Crescent workers at the time. In a later statement to Reuters, it said it had facilitated the evacuation of the bodies from what it described as an active combat zone. It did not specifically answer questions about why the bodies were found beneath the sand or why the vehicles were found crushed.

‘Ambulances Are Not A Target’

Eid Aziz, media director of the Palestinian Red Crescent, said that opening an investigation was less important than preventing such incidents from happening.

“The Palestinian Red Crescent badge is protected by international laws, and the medical staff must be protected, especially as they execute their duties and humanitarian work,” Aziz told Reuters.

Munther Abed, a Palestinian paramedic who said he was present when the 15 colleagues were killed, said on Wednesday that he hoped those responsible would face “justice, real justice”.

“I want to say to the whole world, Ambulances 101 is not a target and they must be protected,” he said, referring to the Red Crescent’s speed-dial number for its Gaza service.

Gaza Death Toll Remains High

More than 73,000 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli attacks since the Gaza war began in 2023, according to the figures cited in the report, with thousands more killed in Israeli military operations in southern Lebanon. The dead include aid workers, doctors, journalists and others.

Israel’s military says its attacks target Hamas and Hezbollah militants and has opened investigations into some incidents involving the deaths of civilians, including medical and aid workers and journalists.

A Gaza ceasefire declared last October halted major fighting but did not end Israeli attacks. Israel has said its continuing strikes are aimed at preventing imminent attacks by Hamas and other Gaza militants.

Since the truce, more than 1,200 Palestinians and four Israeli soldiers have been killed, according to Gaza health authorities and the Israeli military.

Key Questions Answered

Powered by

ask search iconAsk News18

International pressure could influence future Israeli military actions, as evidenced by Israel’s military opening criminal investigations into incidents that gained global attention, such as the deaths of Hind Rajab and 15 paramedics. Additionally, a coalition of six countries imposed sanctions on Israeli settlers and officials over West Bank violence, escalating diplomatic pressure.

Powered by

ask search iconAsk News18

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More



Source link
[ad_3]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *