Iran Says 3 Of Its Pilots Are Being Held By Qatar Since March, Doha Denies It: What We Know

Iran Says 3 Of Its Pilots Are Being Held By Qatar Since March, Doha Denies It: What We Know


News world Iran Says 3 Of Its Pilots Are Being Held By Qatar Since March, Doha Denies It: What We Know

Last Updated:

Iran said the pilots were captured after their aircraft were hit during a March mission against what Iran described as an enemy military base in Qatar.

The mission took place amid the wider conflict that followed US and Israeli attacks on Iran beginning February 28.

The mission took place amid the wider conflict that followed US and Israeli attacks on Iran beginning February 28.

Qatar denied Iran’s claim that its forces were holding three Iranian pilots captured alive after they ejected from fighter jets during a military mission, saying one of the pilots was found dead after the aircraft entered Qatari airspace. A spokesperson for Qatar’s Foreign Ministry said on X (formerly Twitter) that the Iranian pilots had violated Qatari airspace in March and failed to respond to repeated attempts by Qatari authorities to establish contact.

Qatari search and rescue teams later recovered the remains of one of the pilots, the spokesperson said. Qatar also contacted Iran to coordinate the handover of the remains but Tehran had yet to respond to an invitation to review details of the operation.

The denial came after Iranian state news agency IRNA quoted a senior military official as saying that three Iranian pilots had been captured alive by Qatari forces after ejecting from their fighter jets during a mission targeting a military base in Qatar.

Iran’s Armed Forces General Staff also appealed to the International Committee of the Red Cross to help secure the release of the three pilots, according to a letter published by semi-official Fars news agency.

Iran said that the pilots were captured after their aircraft were hit during a March mission against what Iran described as an enemy military base in Qatar. The mission took place amid the wider conflict that followed US and Israeli attacks on Iran beginning February 28.

Iran has earlier accused the United States and Israel of using military bases in Gulf Arab states as part of the attacks. Tehran subsequently launched strikes against targets in Israel and US military facilities across the Gulf.

Qatar, however, said it took measures to defend its territory after the Iranian pilots entered its airspace and did not respond to repeated attempts by Qatari authorities to contact them.

Key Questions Answered

Powered by

ask search iconAsk News18

Qatar denies holding any Iranian pilots, stating that one pilot was found dead after their aircraft violated Qatari airspace in March. Qatar recovered the remains of this pilot and attempted to coordinate a handover with Iran, but Tehran has not yet responded to an invitation to review the details of the operation. Iran, however, claims that three pilots were captured alive by Qatari forces after ejecting from their fighter jets during a mission targeting a military base in Qatar.

Powered by

ask search iconAsk News18

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More



Source link
[ad_3]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *