Last Updated:
Syria has denied plans for a permanent Turkish military presence at the airbase targeted by Israel, saying the strike was not justified.

According to Al-Shaibani cited by the outlet, the airbase was simply being repaired after suffering damage (Reuters image)
Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad Al-Shaibani on Thursday told the Trump administration that Damascus does not trust Israel’s intentions towards Syria, days after Israeli airstrikes hit a military base in northern Syria that Israel said was being targeted to prevent a Turkish military buildup.
The Israeli Air Force dropped at least eight bombs on runways and hangars at the Abu al-Duhur airbase, about 45 miles from the Turkish border, damaging recently rebuilt runways. There were no casualties.
Israel told the Trump administration that the strike was aimed at preventing Turkey from establishing a military presence at the airbase, according to US and Israeli officials. Syria has denied that it was working with Turkey to establish a military base there, with Al-Shaibani telling Axios that Damascus had already informed Israel that there were no plans for a permanent Turkish military presence at the site.
“There was no intention to establish a Turkish base there, nor to establish a permanent Turkish military presence or deploy Turkish forces at the site,” he told Axios.
What Was Happening At The Airbase?
According to Al-Shaibani cited by the outlet, the airbase was simply being repaired after suffering damage during the war. He said the work was being carried out so that the Syrian Air Force could use the facility again.
He said the base was mostly empty, was not fully repaired and had not yet become operational. Therefore, Syria does not believe there was any reason to view the work as preparations for a Turkish military base.
Turkish military officers had visited the site several days before the Israeli attack. But Al-Shaibani said these visits were part of military cooperation, including training and sharing expertise.
Israel Had Warned Syria
Israel has maintained that it had a different reason for carrying out the strike. Israeli officials told the US administration that they were concerned about a possible Turkish military build-up at the airbase.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu also said Syria had been warned not to allow a Turkish military presence there. He said Israel had given Damascus a clear message before the attack.
US President Donald Trump said he had been briefed about the Israeli strike but did not comment on whether he supported the operation. He also did not say when he received the briefing, according to Axios.
Syria Says It Wants To Avoid Escalation
Al-Shaibani said Syria had been in contact with both Israel and the US before the attack. Damascus had explained that the airbase would remain under Syrian control and that no permanent Turkish deployment was planned.
After the strike, Syria contacted the US and several other countries to protest. The government also called for steps to prevent another attack and said Syrian territory should not be used to settle wider regional disputes.
Damascus Still Open To Talks
Despite the latest attack, Al-Shaibani said Syria is still willing to negotiate with Israel on security issues along their border.
He said the two countries had spent about a year discussing a possible security agreement with US mediation. According to him, the talks had made progress and a framework had been agreed on paper, but the deal was later not implemented.
Syria, he said, is ready to return to talks if both sides are willing to address each other’s security concerns. Damascus also wants any future agreement to respect Syria’s sovereignty and help reduce tensions in the region.
Syria has denied that it was working with Turkey to set up a military base at an airfield that Israel attacked earlier this week.
Foreign Minister Asaad Al-Shaibani told Axios that Damascus had already told Israel that there were no plans for a permanent Turkish military presence at the site
The comments came after Israel struck the Abu al-Duhur airbase in northern Syria on Tuesday. Israel said the attack was meant to stop Turkey from building up its military presence there. At least eight bombs hit the airbase, damaging runways and hangars. No deaths were reported, as per the outlet.
What Was Happening At The Airbase?
According to Al-Shaibani cited by the outlet, the airbase was simply being repaired after suffering damage during the war. He said the work was being carried out so that the Syrian Air Force could use the facility again.
He said the base was mostly empty, was not fully repaired and had not yet become operational. Therefore, Syria does not believe there was any reason to view the work as preparations for a Turkish military base.
Turkish military officers had visited the site several days before the Israeli attack. But Al-Shaibani said these visits were part of military cooperation, including training and sharing expertise.
Israel Had Warned Syria
Israel has maintained that it had a different reason for carrying out the strike. Israeli officials told the US administration that they were concerned about a possible Turkish military build-up at the airbase.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu also said Syria had been warned not to allow a Turkish military presence there. He said Israel had given Damascus a clear message before the attack.
US President Donald Trump said he had been briefed about the Israeli strike but did not comment on whether he supported the operation. He also did not say when he received the briefing.
Syria Says It Wants To Avoid Escalation
Al-Shaibani said Syria had been in contact with both Israel and the US before the attack. Damascus had explained that the airbase would remain under Syrian control and that no permanent Turkish deployment was planned.
After the strike, Syria contacted the US and several other countries to protest. The government also called for steps to prevent another attack and said Syrian territory should not be used to settle wider regional disputes.
Damascus Still Open To Talks
Despite the latest attack, Al-Shaibani said Syria is still willing to negotiate with Israel on security issues along their border.
He said the two countries had spent about a year discussing a possible security agreement with US mediation. According to him, the talks had made progress and a framework had been agreed on paper, but the deal was later not implemented.
Syria, he said, is ready to return to talks if both sides are willing to address each other’s security concerns. Damascus also wants any future agreement to respect Syria’s sovereignty and help reduce tensions in the region.
Key Questions Answered
Syria is still willing to negotiate with Israel on security issues along their border, despite the recent Israeli airstrikes. Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad Al-Shaibani stated that Damascus is ready to return to talks if both sides are willing to address each other’s security concerns.
About the Author
The News Desk is a team of passionate editors and writers who break and analyse the most important events unfolding in India and abroad. From live updates to exclusive reports to in-depth explainers, …Read More
August 20, 2026, 5:29 pm IST
Read More
Source link
[ad_3]