Filmmaker Amit Jani has appealed in the Supreme Court against the Delhi High Court order to remove the teaser of his film ‘Black Deer: The Battle for Legacy’. While hearing Salman Khan’s petition, the High Court had directed to remove the teaser and the promotional material related to it. The film is said to be inspired by the famous blackbuck poaching case of 1998 involving Bollywood actor Salman Khan. After Salman’s complaint, the High Court had ordered the removal of the promotional material citing alleged violation of his personality rights. Jani has said in his appeal that this order is unfair censorship and limits his right to freedom of expression. He says that no one can have a monopoly on public records and historical legal cases. Jani termed the High Court order as hasty. Amidst the legal dispute, concerns have also come to light regarding the safety of the film producer. Jani claims that organized criminal groups have issued death threats to him and his family. These groups have demanded him to leave the film project. Jani said in the appeal that the High Court issued the stay order without giving his legal team a proper opportunity to present its case. Order to remove teaser and interview on Salman’s petition: This development has come to light after the order given by the High Court during the hearing on the petition demanding protection of personality rights of Salman Khan. On July 27, Delhi High Court has given instructions to remove the teaser of the film ‘Black Deer: The Battle for Legacy’ from social media. The court clarified that if the producers do not remove the teaser links within 24 hours, then internet companies like Twitter and YouTube will be ordered to remove it. During the hearing of the case, Justice Jyoti Singh expressed strong displeasure over the attitude of the film’s producer Amit Jani. The court said that the accused is crossing his limits every day and considers himself above the law. The judge remarked that even an ordinary citizen cannot be treated like this. It takes a lot of hard work to build a reputation and once it is damaged, it is not easy to recover it. The court had also directed to delete the interview given by film producer Amit Jani. During the hearing, the court, while making oral remarks, had said that it is necessary to protect a person’s reputation. The court had also expressed concern over references to the actor appearing in the film. The court had indicated that it would issue a detailed order with more stringent observations later. Salman made these allegations. The lawyers of Laman Khan’s side told the court that in the teaser, a character has been shown wearing a look like Salman and his famous bracelet. This makes it clear that the film is based on Salman Khan and the 1998 black buck case. It was told from Salman’s side that he had earlier sent a legal notice to the producer, but Amit Jani tore that notice in an interview and started claiming to have received threats on the internet. The petition also states that a poster shows the character holding a rifle. Salman has claimed that such portrayal may confuse people. The petition further states that this is especially important because Salman Khan has been acquitted in the Arms Act proceedings related to the 1998 case. Producer’s argument – No one’s name was used. During the hearing, producer Amit Jani’s lawyer, while presenting his side, said that Salman Khan’s name has not been used anywhere in the film. No AI or deepfake technology has been used in the teaser. He said that this is only a teaser and making a film on public events does not violate anyone’s personal rights. However, the court rejected this argument and said that making such things public while the case is pending in the court comes under the ambit of contempt.
Source link
[ad_3]
Daily Latest News