Last Updated:
The fund emerged from a settlement tied to Trump’s lawsuit against the IRS over leaked tax returns and is meant to compensate alleged victims of government ‘weaponization’.

US President Donald Trump. (Reuters Image)
US President Donald Trump and his administration are facing intense criticism after the Justice Department announced a massive $1.776 billion “Anti-Weaponization Fund” that could compensate individuals who claim they were unfairly investigated or prosecuted by the federal government in recent years.
The controversy has triggered a fierce political and legal debate in Washington because of how the fund came into existence, who could potentially benefit from it, and the unusual role Trump himself played in the process.
The fund emerged from a settlement tied to Trump’s lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) over the leak of his tax returns. But critics — including Democrats, former government officials and legal experts — argue the arrangement goes far beyond a normal legal settlement and could effectively create a taxpayer-funded compensation system for Trump allies, including some people charged in connection with the January 6 Capitol riot.
The US Department of Justice (DOJ), meanwhile, insists the fund is not partisan and says any American who believes they were subjected to “weaponization” by the government can apply.
Here’s what to know.
What Is The ‘Anti-Weaponization’ Fund?
The fund was announced by the Justice Department as part of a settlement tied to Trump’s lawsuit against the IRS over the leak of his tax returns.
According to acting Attorney General Todd Blanche, the fund is meant to compensate “victims of lawfare and weaponization”.
In recent years, Republicans have increasingly used the term “weaponization” to accuse federal agencies like the DOJ, FBI and IRS of unfairly targeting conservatives and Trump supporters.
The fund will reportedly be financed through the DOJ’s Judgment Fund, a pool of taxpayer money that Congress set aside for settlements and judgments involving the federal government.
The Justice Department has said there will be no political requirement to apply for compensation. “Anybody in this country is eligible to apply if they believe they are a victim of weaponization,” Blanche said during a Senate hearing when questioned by Democrats over whether January 6 defendants could benefit.
Vice President JD Vance also defended the arrangement, saying applications would be reviewed “case-by-case”.
“Let’s say hypothetically, a person is accused of doing something that they never actually did, that they got a ‘kangaroo court.’ They had a judge who mistreated them. I think we should look at those things case by case,” Vance said.
Why Is The Fund So Controversial?
The biggest controversy is linked to how the fund was created.
Trump had sued the IRS earlier this year after his tax returns from 2019 and 2020 were leaked by a government contractor who was later prosecuted. The lawsuit sought $10 billion in damages.
While US privacy laws protect presidential tax returns just like those of ordinary citizens, legal experts noted that it was highly unusual for a sitting president to sue an agency that falls under the executive branch he controls.
“The president is at top of the executive branch, when he sues the executive branch, he is in effect suing himself,” Stacey Young, a former Justice Department attorney, told CNN.
Critics also argue that the settlement effectively allows Trump’s administration to create a massive compensation mechanism for people politically aligned with him.
Retired federal judge William Smith described it as “a fairly thinly veiled attempt to funnel federal money to people that are sympathetic to the president’s cause and points of view”.
Could January 6 Defendants Benefit?
The Justice Department has not ruled out compensation for some January 6 defendants.
Blanche told lawmakers that eligibility would not automatically exclude those convicted in connection with the Capitol riot.
Trump himself appeared supportive of the idea. “This is reimbursing people that were horribly treated — horribly treated,” Trump said when asked about funds potentially going to January 6 defendants.
“They’ve been weaponized. They’ve been in some cases imprisoned wrongly. They paid legal fees that they didn’t have. They’ve gone bankrupt.”
Trump has long argued that many January 6 defendants were unfairly prosecuted. On the first day of his second term, he pardoned or commuted the sentences of around 1,500 people linked to the Capitol riot.
Democrats have strongly criticised the move.
Senator Chris Van Hollen called it “pure theft of public funds”.
“Rewarding individuals that committed crimes is obscene,” he said during a Senate hearing.
What Else Was Included In The Settlement?
One of the most scrutinised parts of the agreement concerns Trump’s future tax exposure.
According to documents posted on the Justice Department website, the IRS is now “FOREVER BARRED and PRECLUDED” from pursuing certain claims or examinations linked to Trump, his family, businesses and affiliated entities over past tax matters.
Critics say it is unclear how blocking future IRS claims relates to Trump’s original lawsuit, which focused on leaked tax returns.
Representative Richard Neal, the senior Democrat on the House Ways and Means Committee, called the arrangement “corruption”.
Who Will Control The Fund?
According to the Justice Department, a five-member commission will oversee the fund and decide who receives compensation. All members will be appointed by Blanche, while the president will retain the authority to remove them. One member will be chosen in consultation with Congress.
The settlement also reportedly states that once money is distributed, the federal government “has no liability” for how recipients use it.
Critics argue the arrangement gives Trump’s administration enormous control over a taxpayer-funded compensation system.
Senator Patty Murray called it “a slush fund”.
“Instead of helping Americans get by, President Trump is literally using their tax dollars to set up a slush fund and enrich his friends,” she said.
“Let’s be clear: What we’re talking about is nothing short of a sitting president of the United States looting from the Treasury for his own gain,” she added.
Can The Fund Be Challenged In Court?
Legal observers say challenges are likely, though stopping the fund may prove difficult.
Critics have floated possible lawsuits under the US Constitution’s Emoluments Clause, which restricts presidents from receiving certain government-linked financial benefits beyond their salary.
Others have discussed challenges under the Administrative Procedure Act, which allows courts to review potentially unlawful government actions.
However, a major obstacle could be legal standing, meaning challengers would need to prove they were directly harmed by the arrangement. “Standing is always very difficult to get, but it’s not impossible,” retired Judge Smith told CNN. “I would be shocked if there isn’t some kind of an effort to stop it in its tracks,” he added.
Read More
Source link
[ad_3]