Last Updated:
Trump’s comments came a day after he ordered the Pentagon to substantially reduce joint military exercises with South Korea.

North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un with US President Donald Trump. (AFP file photo)
US President Donald Trump on Monday said North Korean leader Kim Jong Un had responded to his recent overtures, describing their communication as “very positive” without offering details.
Asked in the Oval Office whether Kim had replied to his attempts to open talks, Trump said: “Yeah, he has.” He added that he believed his relationship with Kim was making the situation “much safer”.
“Kim Jong Un has always treated me with great respect,” Trump said. “I understand him. He understands me.”
Trump’s comments came a day after he ordered the Pentagon to substantially reduce joint military exercises with South Korea, a move that could affect longstanding preparations for a potential war with North Korea.
Trump Questions Seoul’s Support
Trump has criticised South Korea for not joining US efforts against Iran, saying Washington should not continue protecting countries that do not support it in return.
“We have 39,000 soldiers over there, guarding you from Kim Jong Un, your next-door neighbor, and you’re not going to help us on a very easy military operation in Iran. That’s strange,” Trump said.
“Then why are we involved with helping you? Protecting South Korea is costing us billions of dollars,” he added.
He has also questioned the level of US support for other allies that have declined to contribute to the Iran war.
South Korean officials said the military exercises had gone ahead as planned and expressed hope that Trump’s relationship with Kim could help bring the two sides back to negotiations.
North Korea Opposes Military Drills
North Korea has not publicly responded to Trump’s latest remarks, but Pyongyang has long condemned US-South Korean military exercises as preparations for an invasion.
The 11-day Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises are intended to prepare the allies for a possible war with North Korea. Pyongyang recently warned it could respond to the drills with a “new level of deterrent”.
Trump and Kim held three meetings during Trump’s first term, beginning with their landmark summit in Singapore in 2018. Trump had then announced the suspension of what he called “provocative” military exercises.
The US currently has about 28,500 troops stationed in South Korea. Trump’s repeated criticism of traditional US alliances has raised questions over Washington’s long-term security commitments in East Asia.
(With inputs from AFP)
Key Questions Answered
US President Donald Trump has instructed the Pentagon to substantially reduce joint military exercises with South Korea. This decision was influenced by his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korea’s refusal to join US actions against Iran. Trump had previously suspended major US-South Korea military exercises in 2018 and scaled them back in 2020.
About the Author
The News Desk is a team of passionate editors and writers who break and analyse the most important events unfolding in India and abroad. From live updates to exclusive reports to in-depth explainers, …Read More
United States of America (USA)
August 18, 2026, 01:15 IST
Read More
Source link
[ad_3]